Saturday, February 7, 2015

Fluency in writing

     I just read an extremely interest text from my English professor called It takes practice. In this text she explains how she became fluent in the art of writing, what it takes to become fluent, and how you can become fluent in writing. Ms. A asked a couple questions in her article that I thought would be a great journal blog for tonight. I also believe this will help me realize the dedication and hard work it will take in making me a great, and even enthusiastic writer.
     Ms. A asked in her writing to think of one thing you are good at. The first thought that came to my mind was football. During high school I was an above average linebacker, and even received a college scholarship for it. I began to think of all the blood, sweat, and tears I put in to become a well recognized defensive player. I started playing tackle football in Mighty Mites when I was five years old. I obviously didn't know what I was doing, but still tried over and over again. Throughout the years I became more coordinated, stronger, and agile. I would practice during the off season on my foot work, form tackling a punching bag in my garage, and my dad would even run in different directions so I could get my reaction time faster. Once I got into middle school my self discipline and dedication grew even more. Staying after practice to lift weights, do sprints, and look a film. I actually became obsessed trying to become perfect at an early age. This all worked in my advantage once I reached high school though. You see, I was the only freshmen, at the time, playing special teams for varsity. Even though I wasn't starting yet, it pushed me harder. I knew if I had more heart and dedication then everyone else I would get my shot at being a star line backer. So I kept worker harder and harder, I would do things people my age couldn't imagine. While everyone was  sleeping in on Saturday mornings, I was at the practice field running 300 yard shuffles. Finally, my day came to shine. My senior year I broke the single season tackle record quite substantially. The pride that ran through my body at the time is unexplainable. Knowing all my hard work finally paid off was great, and all the blood, sweat, and tears were well worth it.
     Writing, I believe, will  be like this for me. Starting now I am like the 5 year old Cody, just learning how to get in a proper stance. With the dedication and hard work, I am willing to put in, I will be a senior once again breaking records. The great thing about this process, I already see progress since I started free writing. I am by no means close to fluency, but it is becoming easier to write. I know I am horrible with grammar, but as long as I keep practicing I will get to the point I need, and deserve, to be at. I honestly use to dread writing, and thought this journal/blog was going to be my down fall in class. Now though, the more and more I do it, the more I look forward to writing on my page.

No comments:

Post a Comment