Thursday, February 5, 2015

The close line between sanity and insane.

     I have twin 22 month old girls and a nine year old step daughter, who are my world. I wake up every day looking forward to teaching them how to be the best person they can be. When I was told that having kids would give you a whole new meaning to life I honestly didn't believe them, but when you hold those two beautiful baby girls for the first time in the operating room you instantly sink into a little pile of mush. I love watching my kids sleep, wondering what they are dreaming about, looking so innocent and sweet. Brushing their hair out of the face, and praying I don't wake them. Why, because once you wake the beast the world goes into chaos. My twins are in full blown terrible two's and my nine year old is at that lovely age where she gets annoyed by everything my wife and I ask her to do. From the break of dawn until the darkest of night their is running, screaming, crying and fighting. The twins are extremely smart, and try to strategically beat me in whatever they are trying to get away with. Hadlee will go one way, and while I chase her Mckynlee will use that to her advantage. Going to do whatever she can that she knows would normally get her in trouble. If they ever are playing nice and quietly by themselves, you know they are up to no good. Today they were in their room coloring and I went to the front room to drink some coffee and get caught up on the news. That was my first mistake, leaving the general area they are planted in. After about five or ten minutes I decided it was to quiet, and went to see what they where doing. As I peaked around the corner of the door I notice Mckynlee being a perfect little angle, coloring on her huge coloring book. This was not her being sweet or a good girl, but a mere distraction for her sister. As I walk inside their room to further inspect and search for Hadlee, she is no where to be found, I open the closet door. In the five or ten minutes I  tried to relax, she had ripped down every article of clothing in their closet. Let's just say these kids are spoiled, and we could cloth the whole eastern coast of America. So after about 30 to 45 minutes of putting cloths back on the hanger, and in the correct spots, I decide it is time to try to get some house work done. I first start with dishes, a easy job you would think seeing how I have a dish washer. Well I have to pre rise and scrap dishes in order from cups, to plates, to pans, to baby cups. This is because I have to open the dishwasher, throw as many items as I can in it before the babies run over and take them out. Today I guess I wasn't on my A game because the time I got two dishes in, somehow four would be out on the kitchen floor. I realized this was a loosing battle and decided to do laundry. I think to myself if I put on Super Why, one of their favorite cartoons, they will  watch it and I can fold laundry. Well I was definitely wrong today, by the time I had one towel folded and place on the dryer to go, it would be unfolded and on the floor before I could get another one folded. So I decided to scratch that idea and play with them. Hadlee is just like her daddy, looks and all. She extremely athletic, for a near two year old, and loves to play ball. Lately Ava, my nine year old, has gotten into volleyball and is getting really good. Well Hadlee wants to be like her big sister and play volleyball. I will say get ready, she bends her knees, puts her arms together in a bumping stance, and will actually bump the ball. That is when Mckynlee will allow it to happen, because normally she will chase the ball down, and throw it at her sisters head. Hadlee will begin to cry, and when I scold Mckynlee she begins to cry. Now you have two extremely pissed babies on your hands, so I get my phone, tablet, or whatever electronic I have, and play Polar Express movie songs. They will stop crying for a while, but once you take the music away the water works fire back up again. There is only so many times you can listen to that soundtrack before you want to rip your hair out. So you decided to lay them down for a nap, praying they both fall asleep at the same time so you can either get house work done or home work. Most of the time this will not happen, but you get to spend some quality time alone with one of them which is always amazing. After they wake up the battle between baby and dad starts again. Scolding, crying, hand holding, Barbie playing, tattoo drawing, yes my twins love tattoos, and so on goes until mom gets home from work at five thirty in the evening. At this point it is easier for the simple fact I have reinforcements. When it is bed time we lay next to them doing criss cross apple sauce on their backs, playing with their hair, and whispering in their ears. Hadlee is pretty good about the night time routine, but Mckynlee fights it bad. She screams bloody murder at the top of her lungs, kicking and screaming until finally she wears herself out. While they sleep you stare at them, looking like perfect angles. I would never change my life from what it is now. My girls made me a better man, and I am blessed my wife gave them to me. So even though on my days off from work I am tip toeing on that fine line between sanity and insane, they are my babies, all three of them, and they are perfect to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment