Monday, February 16, 2015

Leadership

     Leadership is based of an individuals character, morals, courage, intensity, compassion, fairness, and consistency which molds the bricks that form a true leader. Some are made and others are born, but a good one will always be striving to be better.  
     "Practice what you preach" is one of the greatest sayings of the modern times. To me this means do what you want others to do. While thinking of this quote I have learned to take traits from two different types of leaders, ones you want to be and others you don't. There is always an opportunity to learn from each individual, things you want to place in your tool box of traits, and things you remember that made you so mad you choose never to do them. For example, when I was a young Marine I remember a Sergeant I had that was over weight, out of shape, and just physically not fit. Yet he was the first one to scold you for looking like " A bag of ass". Practice what you preach! I told myself right then I would always be in better shape than my Marines and look better in uniform. How can I correct them if I don't look good myself. I have had leaders that say they care about their employees, yet when they are told about a situation that is unsafe they pay know attention to it. Practice what you preach! If you care about us, then listen to us. Don't lie because it makes you look good to your supervisor, you should do it because its the right thing to do.
     A good leader will go to bat for their employees and what is right. The will fight, claw, and bite for anything their guys need that is substantial. A true leader not only looks the part, talks the part, but also walks the part. They are the real individual that treats everyone equally regardless of skin color, sex, race or religion. They set a standard and expect it to be met. If you don't meet it they will punish you, but with that in mind if you go above the standard they will praise you. They treat others as they would want to be treated.
     There are many different types of leaders, the best part is, you get to choose. So what type of leader will you be?

No comments:

Post a Comment